Thursday, July 3, 2014

Yesterday

This new stage of my journey is granting me some unexpected fruits, by which I'm kind of happy about. Lately I've been studying my theoretical condition quite a lot, but in a slightly different way than I've always done. I have this disability (cerebral palsy, which I'll call CP for saving time) but I'm also a geek that works for Google.

And I've been a geek for quite some time, being engaged with the internet (and even more primitive computer networking types like BBSs) since they first became available in Brazil (which happens to be where I was born and raised). I have to say that probably among the first ideas I've had about the internet and search engines was that I'd be able to find the cure somewhere. That can be kind of illogical from the medical standpoint, but the naïve impression the internet gives you is that the world has finally become accessible at your convenience.

It's really hard to believe that this disorder of mine doesn't have a cure anywhere in the world! Come on! In Brazil it's very common to think things are better in the really rich countries, because regarding loads of aspects that's actually true. It's kind of thinking about those math problems in which the solution depends on the scope, and the function may have different global and local maximum values. I guess many of us tend to think we live with the local maximum solutions of the functions of life, but there must be something better out there. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, anybody?

Nope. No cure at this time. Some experimental treatments. Some speculation around stem cells. A lot of theoretical possibilities, but it's frustrating how tough it's for finding something new for CP. Still there are people selling stuff they can't deliver as usual. If it was contagious, people would probably be generally more concerned, and incentives to create new treatments would be much higher. That's the paradox with relatively benign conditions. They won't kill you, only maybe the life you wanna live. 

Funny how people are obsessed with death. We're all going there sooner or later. But it's the biggest deal ever! And at the same time we screw the environment which can probably kill us as a species. I don't really get people...

No comments:

Post a Comment